My son, if you receive my words
and treasure up my commandments with you,
making your ear attentive to wisdom
and inclining your heart to understanding;
yes, if you call out for insight
and raise your voice for understanding,
if you seek it like silver
and search for it as for hidden treasures,
then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God.
(Proverbs 2:1-5 ESV)
This is a (very long) “if you do this, then you will get that” sentence. Let’s look first at the “if you do” part.
- receive my words
- treasure up my commandments with you
- make your ear attentive to wisdom
- incline your heart to understanding
- call out for insight
- raise your voice for understanding
- seek it like silver
- search for it as for hidden treasures
Stop there. Sometimes we read the same verses over and over until they are so familiar we sound like this in our heads: “If you get what I’m saying, obey commands, open up your ears, understand, use your voice, go on a treasure hunt, blah, blah, blah, I get it. I get it. Where’s the verse that’s gonna pop out today. Where’s my nugget so I can get going here. Gotta get going. Gotta mooooooooove along. Got a Dr. appt. this morning.”
Today we’re going to look at each one and really read it. I’m going to use synonyms and definitions to fill it out for us. And I’m going to make it personal, too. Here we go:
My daughter, if you:
- hear, take hold of, accept, seize, appropriate, and take possession of what I’m saying here (basically – are you picking up what I’m putting down?)
- prize, value, and recognize the worth of what I’m telling you to do.
- are all ears, wide awake to the truth of what I’m saying, vigilantly watchful, listening in rapt attention, focused and ready, pen poised eagerly to take notes on all the truth of what I’m about to share.
- are leaning forward in anticipation of my instruction, head up, all senses ascending toward considering, discerning, and responding in comprehension of my words.
- actively asking me to open your eyes to recognize and know truth and light and justice and goodness inside and out.
- wanting to know so much that you are passionate about asking. You aren’t just casually saying, “Hey, man – so what do you want to share, eh?” But rather, “Please! I’m begging you! Give me what you’ve got! I need it! I want it so bad I could cry out! So I will! Give me awareness, familiarity, cognizance, sensitivity, and acumen in the things you know!”
- inquisitive, studious, and penetrating in your quest, as if you were on the verge of discovering a cave full of ancient jewels worth billions of dollars.
Will appreciate, be fully aware of, apprehend, take into account, perceive, and acknowledge how incredibly high and awesome your Creator is. How deserving of veneration, respect, awe, reverence, and admiration He is.
When your eyes are fully open to this Reality, you will know Him.
Run That By Me Again?
Here’s why some people don’t get it.
- The fools don’t get it because they don’t need it. They already know everything all by themselves.
- The simple don’t get it because they don’t want to get it. Too much hassle. They might strain something.
- The wicked don’t get it because they don’t believe in God. Plus they hate Him.
You know who gets it? The children get it.
If you want to know God, you need to have this child-like attitude of head, heart, and hands wide open to Him in total anticipation and trust. Like an empty cup. And He fills it with Himself. Since He is wisdom, if you are filled with Him, you have all you need.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. (Matt. 5:8)
Which one are you?